Helping Older People Live With Dignity
Seruds is an NGO which works for disadvantaged old age people in Andhra Pradesh, India. We reach out to destitute elderly people and help them to overcome poverty; in times of natural calamities such as floods we rescue the very old and very young people, who are the most vulnerable.
Why do we focus on old people?
- India has around 100 million elders (people over 60 years of age) and the number is estimated to reach 323 million, or 20 per cent of the total population, by 2050
- Around 33 per cent of the elderly live alone or with spouse only
- 70 per cent of the elderly population is illiterate
- 90 per cent work for livelihood
- Elders have to grapple with financial insecurity, morbidity, loneliness, vulnerability, physical weakness, social isolation and powerlessness
- Grandparents care for around half of orphaned children
How your support will change life of an Elder
- You can choose to sponsor an old person for one month or one year. Your donation will give one elder essential rations or basic necessities such as warm clothes and blanket.
- You can sponsor mid-day meals for poor old people
- You can volunteer in any our programs